Cleaning and the Different Layers of Carpeting

Infographic regarding how clean your carpet is

In the Pacific Northwest, there is really no downtime for leaving the house and enjoying the great outdoors. The Spring, Summer, and Fall seasons make sure hiking trails, ball fields, and camping areas are in non-stop use. Skiing, snowboarding, or snowshoeing keep us active in the coldest temps.

At some point, we have to come home, though. And we bring those activities along with us. On the bottom of our shoes, jerseys, snow pants, and whatever else happened to get dirty. No one wants to vacuum after a fun day, so the dirt settles in.

Sure, if a big dirt clod is left on the carpet, it gets picked up. But what you can see on the surface of the carpet is only part of the cleaning story. Clumps of dirt, pet hair, or even dust bunnies can usually be picked up by hand or with a quick pass of the vacuum.

However, that debris can be mashed, ground, and otherwise pushed deeper into the carpet and rug fibers. Especially in high-traffic areas.

With carpeting, it’s not that easy. There are four layers of carpeting, each designed for a specific purpose. If dirt is allowed to sink down deep into the fibers, you may find your carpeting looking worn down, faded, and just plain old.

Carpeting Layers

Infographic listing the four layers of your carpet | Heaven's Best

As dust and debris make their way deeper into your carpet, it becomes increasingly difficult to clean. Out of sight, out of mind? Not for those who suffer from allergies to pollen, dust, and pet dander. If stains from spilled soft drinks or wine aren’t cleaned up from the carpeted floor right away, the carpet fibers could be forever stained, worn, and damaged.

Carpet Cleaning Options

Unfortunately, carpet manufacturers have been lessening the quality and durability of carpet fibers and overall product construction to make them need replacement more often so regular maintenance and cleaning of your carpet is extremely important.

It is inevitable: the carpet or rug will get dirty. Grass, dirt, barkdust, and more will be brought in after gardening, sports, or just walking around the neighborhood. Using a vacuum cleaner is the best way to regularly maintain and suck out loose debris. Regular vacuuming removes approx 70% of soil and debris from the carpet fibers and vacuuming a minimum of once a week will do wonders for keeping your carpet looking great and extending its useful life. It’s the other deep down, bonded to the fibers, dirty 30% of the debris that should worry you.

Spot Cleaning
Using water and a damp towel is a great starting point for spills and sticky spot removal but if that doesn’t work, a high-quality spot cleaning solution can sometimes improve your odds. Home machines can sometimes be beneficial as well but aren’t designed for a whole room or house cleaning. You are still going to need to remove that deep down 30%

Professional Carpet Cleaners
The best way to bring a carpet back and get the remaining solid and debris is to go with a professional carpet cleaner. They have the right tools for the job, know how to use those tools, and will take less time. By using a protectant after cleaning, they will add a little more life to the carpet too.

Don’t forget to care for your carpet once it’s cleaned, either. After the flooring is professionally cleaned, it looks great, right? Why not take the time once a week to keep it that way? Again, picking up or vacuuming loose dirt when you see it will keep it from being smashed into the fibers is very important.

Heaven’s Best Carpet Cleaning has been cleaning rugs, carpets, tiles, and hardwood for more than 20 years. By keeping on top of technological advances and improved cleaning methods, we’ll ensure your carpet will look as good as it did when you first installed it.

Related Posts
Vacuum cleaning carpet | Heavens BestHeaven's Best technician cleaning a carpet with low-moisture equipment